Stretching is something EVERYONE forgets to do. Now everyone knows that stretching is beneficial for avoiding injuries, so why are you still not doing it? What if I told you that by stretching you could not only avoid an injury but you could also gain muscle tone and recover quicker?
When we exercise we cause small damages to the muscles we’ve worked. Then eating the right nutrients and rest repairs the damage. Well stretching (before and after) also damages the muscles allowing us to add a greater result once we’ve replenishes them. So what are you waiting for? There’s no need to spend extra time in the gym just do what your suppose to.
Many of my clients aches and pains are down to tight muscles. But not any more as I ALWAYS stretch them out. Here’s Train With JC’s top tips for stretching;
Before your Workout
• Keep it active – Doing dynamic stretches such as hamstring kicks are best. This allows you to increase the stretch with every kick while warming up your muscles at the same time
• Replicate your workout – If your Training your Legs then start with a Body Squats and Lunges. This will also kick your brain into gear as its a test run for whats to come
• Start with a light set – At the beginning of your workout use a light weight for a high repetition. This not only warms up the brain but it also does the same for the muscle your intending on working
• Stretch your whole body – Just because your training your lower body it doesn’t mean you should neglect your upper body. Use this time to get that extra stretch in, and to increase blood flow (and nutrients) to the tired muscles.
After your Workout
• Same again – You can indulge in the same stretches as you used before, this wont hurt
• And Hold – Hold the muscle under tension for at least 15seconds, more if you can
• A helping hand – If you have a training partner then assist each other in stretching them
• A second Helping – If you don’t have a partner then use walls or equipment to help you stretch that little bit further
• Stretching the morning after your workout will do you the world of good. Use the same stretching as you used before your workout. This is an awesome way of waking you up on the early, dark and cold mornings
Remember that your goal is long term and so is your need for flexibility and mobility. Start now and thank me later!!!